Thursday, October 12, 2006

Organization as an Art Form

Wow! You ladies are way ahead of me as far as organization is concerned. My current WIP is slow going but I use scene charts to flesh out the details about the scenes I plan to incorporate into each chapter. Those details include:

1. location/setting,
2. POV,
3. characters present,
4. scene goal(s),
5. starting point,
6. ending point, and
7. list of events in the scene.

I am trying to not make revisions as I write but have been terribly unsuccessful as I get comments from the members of the two critique groups I belong to. For now, I save the comments in separate folders and continue to plug away at my story.




As a way to put a spark in my creativity and to get the motivation juices flowing, I've decided to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), which challenges writers to write a novel, 50K words in length, between Novemeber 1st and November 30th. I don't know what the heck I'm getting into but I heard that this is lots of fun. Am I going to use my scene charts or just let my fingers fly across the keys as the words pop into my brain? I don't know. The perfectionist in me is screaming that the scene charts are a must but I am tempted to try a different approach in a desparate attempt to break out of these doldrums.

Lordy, I wish I was prolific and could blithely churn out pages and pages per day. But I can't just yet. I want to be ORGANIZED and have my story mapped out and that approach is stifling my creativity. I know, I know. Many have said to just let the words flow and do the organizing when it's time to edit.

It's simply an art form that I have yet to master.

But I am determined to try!!!

Until next Friday,
Angela

1 comment:

J L said...

Hey there --

Lynne did NaNoWriMo I think, last year, and found it very useful. It sounds like a great thing for those who need to motivation and/or structure. I've never participated in a Book In a Week or any of those because I tend to be pretty prolific as it is. But when I sit down to write, I have the book pretty much worked out in my head, so it's relatively easy -- it's just a matter of getting the words on the page.

Good luck with NaNoWriMo -- let us know if you need us to crack the whip or anything *wink*.