Friday, October 27, 2006

A Muse.....Does My Ex Count?

Ya know, I started to respond that I didn't have a muse. No special place to write, no particular time of day, no special music playing in the background. But then I realized that I become particularly productive when I am ticked off at my ex. Invariably after one of his off-the-wall comments, helpful suggestions on how to discipline our child from hundreds of miles away or unreasonable visitation requests, I can sit at the computer and pound out a chapter or two.

Now I can't say what I produce is any good or useable but, boy, do I work out my frustrations on the keyboard! (chuckling)

I don't call it brainstorming; I call it Brain-Fuming! The other side benefit is that afterwards I'm not tempted to mistreat my baby just because she looks so much like him. Just my luck!

All kidding aside.....

I can honestly say that my muse manifests itself in the form of my condition. Having multiple sclerosis for 15 years and going from a high school valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude in college and ambitious corporate ladder-climber to a disabled but ambulatory, stay at home mom tends to put a damper on my spirit. "I had so much promise," I cry to the gods. But I try to count my blessings everyday and use my writing and other brain-stimulating "hobbies," like my web-design business, to keep me going. When I am particularly blue, I sit with my notebook and write just to spite my own doubts and insecurities.

My life could be much worse and the best of me is yet to come. - AJ

No comments: