Saturday, December 02, 2006

Throw Me Something Mister!


That's how they say it in New Orleans during Mardi Gras...

Throw me something.

I have bought a book just by the blurb on the bookmark. What the bookmark didn't say was that it was a futuristic novel.

When I purchased it, I felt obligated at this point, the author was standing there, I didn't think I would enjoy it. But I did.

So, I think again about bookmarks.

Just how effective are they?

Well, for one, I can never find a bookmark in my house. The house trolls keep stealing them. But they are useful.

When doing a booksigning, hand them out. Even to those who don't buy your book. It's all about name recognitation. People have to see your name at least three times before it sinks in. (I might take a bit longer...the memory is going quicker than I like.)

A bookmark can also have a great picture of your book. (Insert a hunk photo if your cover is a stinkeroo). Put your backlist, your website, your future releases, put a contest, a puzzle, part of a joke (the answer is on your website...but it better be a good joke). Anything that will create interest and stop them from throwing it away.

Some of the better things I've seen that were given away were some fake fangs to promote a vampire book, a stiletto on a keychain that promoted a book with a stiletto on the cover. I personally like the bookmarks with beads, but along with the bead, I'd put a little plastic cover of my book so I'd be remembered.

All of this is something to consider for the day that I do get the call.

But since I don't have a book coming out anytime soon, here's something to remember me by...







No comments: