Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Blessings

Blessings.

Okay, there's a lot. I was originally going to say 'good health', because without that, life gets mean. But I live in America, and I can get good health care.

I was going to say, 'My intelligence' (modest mode), but I live in America. Even if I wasn't well-educated and reasonably intelligent, I'd still have a chance at a good life.

So many of my blessings come back to where I live. So I'm going to say, 'Thank you for letting me live in a civilized country that values me as a human being. Yeah, it ain't perfect, but it's better than a lot of the world.'

{soapbox mode on}

In many countries women have no rights, are murdered, tortured, and all with the countenance of the government. Often it's in the name of religion, which often has its basis in politics and control (don't get me started on *that* topic). At least once a week, I read a story of some poor woman or group of women in India, or Asia, or Africa, or the Middle East being stoned to death, beaten, or ostracized for demanding to be treated like a human being.

{soapbox mode off}

Enough said.

Glad to live where I do, when I do.

No comments: